Thursday, April 8, 2010

Embarking on radio campaign..

Over the past month I've been mailing CDs to radio stations, starting by sending to stations and DJs recommended to me by friends who have been listening to our album.

So far I've hit up KEXP in Seattle, CBC Radio 3 (for consideration on their Sirius channel 86), The Signal with Laurie Brown on CBC Radio 2, CFRU in Guelph and CHOQ.FM and CISM here in Montreal.

The Signal became a fan on our Radio 3 profile and included us in their Radio 3 playlist on March 31. Thanks!

The other day I ran into Rick from Lake of Stew at the post office, and on his advice I picked up the Indie Bible, which is a pretty huge resource (1000 pages).

Following through on this, I today mailed out to campus/community stations in Alberta (one province at a time!): CJSR at University of Alberta, CKXU at University of Lethbridge, CKUA, and soon CJSW at University of Calgary.

I also sent one in to the Canadian publication Penguin Eggs for possible review, thinking that we probably fit within their guidelines of "recordings that fall under the folk, roots and world music banner ... anything from American zydeco to Zimbabwean a cappella." It's an interesting process trying to define our genre.. I think it's accurate to say that we blend at least a few. I've checked out the magazine often over the years -- it's great stuff.

One recurring theme in all of the radio submission guides I've been reading and in the Indie Bible is that most Music Directors like the following:

- A standard CD case (with a spine)
- Unless otherwise specified, nothing more than a one-sheet with pertinent info about the CD, a short bio, and contact information

Also (common sense) you should get familiar the program schedules of each station you're sending to, listen to programs, look at playlists, and make sure that your music fits (ie. not a mass mail-out).

On the subject of Canadian radio in general, I just came across what looks like a great resource: Earshot Online, the national campus and community radio report.

No comments:

Post a Comment